Have you ever felt the need to fast? It’s an urge, really. Somehow, you just know you should do it.
Here are some reasons to fast:
- You feel distanced from God.
- Your prayers are not being answered.
- You are under attack from Satan and His army.
- You just want to get closer to Him.
- A sadness that will not go away.
- Fasting for a loved one who is struggling.
Why Fasting is good:
- It ushers us into the presence of God.
- It re-boots our systems.
- Some of the problems we have cannot be fixed with will power, prayers or effort. Fasting is the “Atomic Bomb” of the Holy Spirit.
- As the days progress during fasting, you get closer and closer to God.
- In spiritual Warfare, the stronger demons will not leave just by “casting them out” or by prayer alone. Only fasting will take care of these terrible creatures.
Warnings about fasting:
- If you are diabetic…check with your doctor before engaging in a fast. Your body needs to be able to maintain homeostasis (which means “standing still.”) while on the fast.
- If you are doing a juice fast - keep hydrated. You can still have the glucose your body needs and some nourishment through juices.
- Don’t drink excessive amounts of water (gallons at a time). This may seem like common sense, but it will throw off your electrolytes. Too much water at one time can kill you.
- Don’t fast when you are sick.
Types of fasting:
- Liquid fast - Consuming nothing but liquids for a designated time.
- Television fast- No T.V. for a time.
- Fasting one meal per day.
- Fasting from what you love (this may be chocolate (if you are a chocoholic), books, technology etc…
- Speech- My husband has done this in the past. Listen more, speak less.
Fasting is not easy…but when prompted by the Holy Spirit to do so, it is very doable.
An illustration on Fasting:
Imagine a huge building, maybe the size of a civic center. All around there are people working for Jesus. They are seated at tables, walking around, on phones…all doing the Lord’s work. I am there too. But something is not right. I work hard at serving God all day in this facility, I know several of the people, but I haven’t seen the owner (God) in a long time. He is in his office at the top of the stairs.
I have placed my focus on other stuff. ”The stuff” is not bad in and of itself, but I need to stop what I am doing and go talk to the owner and operator. The things I am doing He is not blessing (to my knowledge). I’m confused.
So I fast. No food. Just liquids.
This fast means that I stop my work for God while I sit at the table. I excuse myself and walk toward the steps. On the second day of the fast, I ascend the steps and wait outside God’s office. I gently knock. I need to talk to Him. I need answers, I want His blessing. I want to be with Him. The longer I fast, the more often during the day I cry out to Him.
On the third day of my fast, He opens the door and I am ushered into the office, the Holy of Holies and I get what I came for: Answers, fulfillment, purpose, joy, clarity and an anointing.
By obeying His answer, I know that I will have His approval. With His approval comes the anointing. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
For now, I’m at the bottom of the steps looking up. Tomorrow I will be standing outside of His office. Waiting.
Photo Credit: Linda’s photo Journal